This is a post about how to make gingerbread people but the caveat in the title is due to the somewhat bodged efforts of your most beloved blogger (me). Anyway, you can all learn from my mistakes, I’ve oft believed that is my entire purpose in life…
- 350g/12oz plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g/4½oz butter
- 175g/6oz light soft brown sugar
- 1 free-range egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
And then icing for decorations.
1. Sieve and mix the flour, soda, ginger, and cinnamon.
2. Add the butter and make breadcrumbs then mix in the sugar (well you should add the sugar then but I forgot, doh)..
3. Beat the egg and syrup lightly and then mix into original mixture until clumpy.
4. Knead into a smooth ball of dough (this is where I remembered the sugar!), wrap in cling film then place in the fridge for 15mins.
5. Preheat the oven and flour your baking trays.
6. Roll out to half a centimeter thick and use cutters to cut out you people or shapes. Put them in the oven and bake for 12-15mins.
7. Wait until their cool before decorating.
The finished result, not quite perfect in fact there were some ginger fatalities in the kitchen, if you look closely you can see an unhappy gingerbread man in the left corner who’s head fell off! Also the one in the front middle had some kind of abdominal hemorrhage! Still I’ll take them to work tomorrow and no one will complain about free biscuits!