I made these shorts during last summer’s heat wave and since it’s been hot again recently I’ve been wearing them pretty much everyday. I bought a pair of jeans from a charity shop for £1! I wasn’t expecting them to fit but they did and it was a bit heartbreaking to cut them up but I absolutely love them.
It’s really simple to make cut off shorts and yet there are numerous explanations on the interwebs, many of which I read before making that first cut! Here is what I recommend:
- Get jeans that fit around the waist and crotch because it is super hard to make alterations there.
- Turn your jeans inside out before you cut and make any marks on the inside of the jeans.
- Try them on before you cut them and see where you want the shorts to finish.
- If you have another pair of shorts that fit then measure the length and copy it.
- Wherever you want the shorts make them a couple of inches longer, this is because you can always take more off and because the shorts will fray and curl slightly after washing so they will get shorter.
- After cutting one leg fold the jean/shorts in half neatly so all the hems are lined up and then use that as a guide to cut the other leg. That way your legs will be even!