I found this recipe for cottage cheese on the Guardian website and thought I’d give it a try.
- 1tsp salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1l milk
- Boil milk in large saucepan (watch out for it bubbling over!).
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice and salt.
- Leave for 5mins+ for the milk to separate (and look gross!).
- Sieve the lumpy milk, the liquid is whey and can be used in other recipes that I have yet to try! But it’s the goopy ‘solid’ stuff are the curds and that’s what you want.
- I followed the Guardian recipe and rinse it under cold water here to cool it down but I don’t recommend this as I think it watered it all down and made it really mushy. Just squeeze out all the water then place in the fridge to cool.
And that’s it. Pretty easy! I estimate it would last 2 days max in the fridge as cottage cheese doesn’t have much staying power generally and bad cottage cheese is a truly disgusting experience!
I ate mine with a baked potato and it was very bland! I think that might be because I used semi-skimmed milk and full fat would have more flavour, and because I rinsed it with water as directed but this meant it soaked up a lot of bland water. Also I’m not sure how cost effective it as I used a whole litre of milk for a relatively small amount of cottage cheese.
But it was easy and I can definitely experiment with this and see if I can improve the flavour.