I did it! I made some trousers! A major point on my craft resolutions of 2014! I have made trousers before with mixed results but this was my first time using a commercial pattern. I used Colette 1024 Juniper as I had heard good things about Colette patterns (being easy to understand, and they look really cute!) and the trousers being quite flattering. I bought two patterns Juniper and Clover (irritating names for trousers imo) and with postage from USA it came to about £30 which is a lot so I had to use them!
The trousers are wide leg with a zip and hook and eye closures and two pockets. I used grey polyester twill for the trousers and fun flowery cotton for the pockets. I made them a US size 10 and the waist is a little big so for the next attempt I will need to take it in the waist. The pattern was easy to follow for the most part, although the waistband confounded me several times, and I think I will be able to get more use out of it.
My problem with sewing is that, owing to my own impatience and lack of care, I don’t finish things off well enough. So I really tried to follow the instructions properly and do all the things like stay-stitching and under-stitching. And really importantly pressing/ironing which makes a big difference to how professional the finish garment will look. The pattern booklet has a little glossary at the end which I did make use of!
I look forward to making more with this pattern once I’ve figured out the sizing issue!