You can get sets to make Christmas crackers but it’s actually pretty easy to make your own anyway. This is what you need:
- Cracker snaps (I bought them from Hobbycraft for 79p for 12)
- Toilet toll tubes (Just hang around outside cubicles in public toilets waiting for people to finish)
- Pretty paper (like wrapping paper)
- Pretty ribbon
- Elastic bands (2 for each cracker)
- Tape or glue
- Perforated rotary cutter (I bought a little one for a few pound but you could also use scissors)
And here is what you do:
- Cut your paper to at least 28 x 15 cm and use the perforated rotary cutter to perforate across the paper around 5 cm in. FYI this is how crackers work- you may have thought you were super strong last Christmas when you won all the cracker toys but really you just got lucky and pulled the perforated end,
- Place tube in the centre of the paper and insert the cracker snap through the tube.
- Tape or glue the ends of the cracker snap to the paper.
- Wrap the paper around the tube and tape or glue in place.
- Carefully place the elastic bands around the paper at the end of the tube, tie the ribbon around the elastic bands. And done!
You can see a video of this tutorial here!