I posted before about using Inkodye to ‘sun print’; using photo sensitive dye on fabric and then exposing it to sunlight. I tried before to print using a film negative (blown up and printed on acetate) but the acetate curled up and let the light in, but the dye underneath also didn’t dry properly.
This time I printed a quote onto the acetate and then cut the words out and placed them over the dye, then exposed it all to light. The individual words didn’t curl up and were easier to work with than the large sheet of acetate, although I did pin a couple of them down.
I had put the inkodye into spray bottles and so just spritzed on some blue and purple dye, then placed the words on top. I left it by my window for about 30mins, it was an overcast day at about 5pm but on a bright day it should take about 10mins. I ended up leaving it overnight because I didn’t want to move it and ruin it.
In the morning I put it in the wash with the Inkodye detergent which sets the dye so it continue to react in the light, however it did seem to react slightly and the text went a little blue as it dried. But this is a significant improvement over my last attempt.