Another healthy, vegetarian main meal! And I’m very pleased because I made this recipe up myself! I have been all about porridge for breakfast for a while so have loads of oats about the place which are really cheap, so I’ve been looking at other recipes that use oats. I found a few for Oat Burgers and made my own recipe. This was my first attempt.
- 1 Can Green Lentils
- 1 Can Oats (no oats don’t come in cans- I just poured them into the can that I had taken the lentils out of to measure it out)
- 1 Egg
- 1 Onion
- 4 Spring Onions
- 1 Grated Carrot
- 2 Gloves Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Mustard
- Optional- 1 sachet Linwoods Flaxseed, Almonds, Brazil Nuts, Walnuts, Co-Enzyme Q10 (I get these from Holland and Barret for £2.99 for a pack of 7 sachets and have been adding them to my porridge to add extra protein and fibre to my breakfast).
- Fry the onions and spring onions.
- Microwave the lentils as per instructions on the can (usually 2 mins), then add all the other ingredients in a bowl and mix. Add the onions once they are brown enough for you.
- Shape the mixture into balls and fry each one for a few minutes each side. I got about 8 burgers from the mixture.
- Serve and eat.
I liked the burgers although next time I would add more mustard and perhaps experiment with other seasonings/flavourings. Adding cheese was a good move!