I bought this shift dress from a charity shop for £5 knowing it wouldn’t fit me. So my plan was always to do some upcycling. Normally the dresses I get from charity shops are huge so I know I can adjust them. But this was a size 10, meaning I can get into it but it’s really tight around my lower half and a bit too big around my top half.
Basically, shift dresses were designed to look horrific on me. So I cut the bottom off to make a cute spring top.
I then added a strip of light weight denim which had come from the denim skirt I had just adjusted to add some interest to the top.
The collar as it was too tight so I had to alter it. I unpicked the facing, then recut the neckline and re-attached the facing. The facing was now smaller than the new neckline, so I pinched some mini pleats into the centre front of the neck.
I’m quite pleased to have another top that’s not a t-shirt!