So boyfriend is allergic to nuts so peanut butter cups are out, and I’m not 100% convinced on them myself. I made some peanut butter cups a while back which tasted pretty good. As an alternative I thought I’d try making some almond butter cups.
Almond butter isn’t as naturally yummy as peanut butter, it has a erm…nuttier taste, and it separates a lot. Meaning that you get to see the horrifying amount of oil in it! But almond butter cups are not going to kill boyfriend so that’s good. Boyfriend had some unpalatable 99% chocolate so I thought I’d use that up in the process. My measures were all pretty rough, especially because I did it in two batches so you may need to fudge them a little.
Ingredients (makes 12 mini and 2 large)
- 350g Choc (I used a mixture of dark and milk)
- 210g Almond butter
- 30g Margarine
- 50g Icing Sugar (I just started pouring this in in the end as I wanted a stiffer consistency)
- Pinch of salt
- Mix the almond butter, margarine, and salt together. Melt the mixture in the microwave in 20-30secs bursts so it doesn’t burn. The almond butter will separate and can be tricky to mix so you might need to put in some elbow grease.
- Sieve in the icing sugar. You should end up with a dough like consistency that you can roll into balls. The roll it into balls.
- Break up the chocolate and melt in the microwave the same as before.
- Take the almond butter balls one at a time and dip them into the chocolate. Then put the balls into paper cups. You can always spoon some more chocolate on top if there are patches of almond butter showing.
- Put the almond butter cups in the fridge to set.