I have made a net curtain for the downstairs toilet. I am slowly trying to improve my new house (which for a long time was just boyfriend’s, then I moved in). It’s quite nice that we have a downstairs toilet, although not really that essential. The decor is quite dated, so I’m trying to spruce up the least exciting room of the house. There’s no point in investing large amounts of money or time into it, so I’m just trying to add some little touches.
I’m making us a home.
The blind in there below was brown and let in no outside light. It was also pretty dusty, and at one point I think it rolled up and down but no longer. The net curtain I made also does not roll because I couldn’t quite figure that out.
It’s just a simple rectangular piece of fabric and I cut to fir the window. I allowed an extra few cm on each of the long sides for the hem. I also added an extra 15cm to the length. Hemming the long sides was both simple and fiddly, as the fabric was a bit curled under already. I folded it over twice, pinned, then sewed. The same with the bottom hem. I was going to make the bottom hem bigger and include curtain weights but they just looked weird when I tried it. The weights ensure the curtain hangs straight down, but they’re not crucial.
At the top I created a loose loop through which I could feed the curtain rod. I used a tension rod so I didn’t have to have a proper curtain rail or drill into the wall. For this one you just unscrew it to make it longer and then it wedges in place, but without damaging the wall.
The net curtain is still fairly see-through, so I may embark on a proper curtain if I can figure out how to get it to work.