Soooo I’m very into my green tea these days! So when I found this recipe for Chai Shortbread I got quite excited. I don’t ‘do’ black tea though so I substituted in T2 Creamy Choc Chai, which is green tea.
- 150g Margarine
- 160g Caster Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 300g Plain Flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp Creamy Choc Chai- finely ground
- 30-50g Chocolate chips (I just eyeballed it, and also ate some so I don’t have a firm grasp of the amount)
- Optional- extra chocolate to melt on top
I found the trickier part of making the Chai Shortbread was getting the Chai tea fine enough. The Creamy Choc Chai has some bigger chunks in it, as would any Chai I assume. I sieved it, pressed it with a spoon, chopped it with a knife, and hit it (gently) with a hammer. As you might expect using the knife was the most effective!
- Cream the margarine and sugar, then mix in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, salt, and beautifully ground Chai.
- Mix the two together. At this point I added my chocolate chips. Then smushed (technical term!) the mixture together with my hands to make a ‘log’ about 20cm long. It’s pretty crumbly at this point and fell apart a bit. And some of the bits that fell of somehow ended up in my mouth…
- Anyway, wrap the log in cling film and put in fridge for 1hr.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/350F, and put some baking paper on a tray.
- Cut the log into discs about 1.5 cm thick. Then put in the oven for abut 12mins.
It was quite tricky to cut the log into discs…as you can see my chai shortbread pieces are slightly misshapen. And mine got a little too brown but they still tasted yummy.